Moblin v2.1 on a Netbook
Ive been playing a little with the latest Moblin release this afternoon and Im actually thinking of trying to run it full-time on a netbook. Theres a few holes yet, but it does offers me much of what Im looking for in a smartbook — a lightweight operating system and good browsing experience. My wireless broadband modem isnt working, nor is my sound or my Bluetooth, so theres a few gotchas just yet. The Bluetooth might be easily fixable in my netbook BIOS, but no sound on the Toshiba NB205 is a reported known bug. In this 11 minute video, I think youll see why Im walking away impressed. The user interface is intuitive, although it will take some getting used to, and the overall environment is fluid and snappy. Bear in mind that Im running a live image from a USB drive, so an actual installation should perform even better. Maybe its time to turn the Toshiba into a triple-booter: Windows XP, Windows 7 and Moblin!
Video Rating: 4 / 5
“Mr. Compromise” considers the trade-offs between netbooks, the new class of mini laptop computers, and full-sized laptops.
Brought to you by:
Best Netbook Deals Online:
- MeeGo Running on a Netbook
- Toshiba NB505-N508BL – Definitely One of the Ultimate Best Netbook Deals Online
- How to install windows 8 on a Netbook| Booredatwork
- Installing Windows XP on a Netbook Via USB (Acer Aspire One)
- Toshiba Mini NB205-N325BL 10.1-Inch Royal Blue Netbook – 9 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter)